background image

Friday, November 28, 2008

Building a new set for Mechanics Vs. Aliens

I am moving into a new phase with Mechanics Vs. Aliens episode 5. I'm building a new set, which is a city that is kind of on the coast, and kind of like New York City. In fact, when I originally started building it, it was supposed to be NYC, but now it will just be a generic skyline with a beach next to it, and a slightly suburban area behind.

Here are some screen shots:


The skyscrapers and office buildings.
                                              

A long shot of the skyscrapers.


A small park area by the sea/lake/bay (I'm not sure which of those it should be).


A long shot with the beach on the right, and the skyscrapers in the background.


Looking past the trees toward the watery expanse.


I'm sorry that a lot of these had the graphical user interface in them. I was trying to use Solo play to get the screenshots, but I kinda messed it up in some of them.

The only real problem I have been having so far is that the skyscrapers make the game go slower than a turtle with it's feet glued together, pulling a Boeing 747 full of fat people up Mt. Everest. Think about that for a minute. Want to know what that is in frames per second? 

Zero.

Yeah.

ZERO Frames per second. 

Ok, to be technical its not ACTUALLY 0 frames per second. (If it was, then the game would stall on the same frame forever. And it doesn't do that.) That's just what my Xfire FPS counter says; I am assuming it is really more like 0.25fps or 0.1fps or something, and it is just being rounded down by the counter, which only displays non-decimal frame rates.

Anyway, since it is totally impossible to work in>1fps conditions, I have to do everything with the building draw distance set to zero. Doing that makes the frame rate normal for me.

I hope everyone likes these screenshots, I'll post more once I have made significant progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thoes building look FANTASTIC! maybe I should have you make some for me! ;)

Web Counter
Golden Gate Bonsai