background image

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Fancy Post

I have decided that I want to talk about Fancy Pants. I will, from this point in time, assume you are up to date on the news about Fancy pants.

SO. It has been a while since I last thought about the Fancy Pants series. By "a while" I mean a couple of months. In those couple of months, I have experienced CaveStory. CaveStory reminded me that the best things in life are free. In those couple of months, I also saw Crytek sell out to the consoles. This reminded me of how even the supposedly "faithful" developer can betray its fanbase.

And I just put two and two together now: the circumstances surrounding development of "The Fancy Pants Adventures" is the perfect storm for consolization/betrayal-of-fanbase fail. Just think about it. If the truly great games are free (CaveStory, the first 2 FP games) and even the faithful developer can go bad (Crytek seemed to care a lot about PC development), then the same thing could happen with FPA.

Now, there are a couple of differences that are important. Brad Bourne communicates with his fanbase. He does it A LOT. And that's AWESOME. If Crytek had actually communicated to its fanbase about all the stuff that was going to happen, then people may have been disappointed that Crysis 2 wasn't going to have basic features that Crysis had, but at least they would not have been mislead. And at the moment, there's no word about a DX11 patch for Crysis 2. Everyone from Crytek must have been instructed not to say a single thing, because there are no comments from any of the official outlets (e.g. Mycrysis.com). With Brad, however, there's no feeling of being shut out.

Hhhhmmm. I think I might be stopping mid-rant. But I felt like ranting some more. About stuff that doesn't really matter. 'Cause I don't have anything more serious to worry about. 'Cause for some reason, everything in my life seems to be going exactly how I want it to. Which is an undeserved luxury piled on top of my stack of already undeserved luxuries, which are all sitting on top of - and dwarfed infinitely by - the biggest undeserved luxury ever.

No comments:

Web Counter
Golden Gate Bonsai