background image

Sunday, August 9, 2009

New film, new format

I have been working on a new machinima for LordG1gabyt3's machinima contest. I won't say anything about the plot or the set, because I don't want to give it away, but I can give you some interesting information about the format of the film:

I wanted it to be filmed in 1280x720, which my monitor is capable of, however the normal version of RCT3 is not capable of displaying in 16:9. Strangely (and much to my chagrin), even if I forced RCT3 to display in 1280x720, the field of view remained in 4:3. To fix this, I am using a rather dirty method to get wide screen, but I don't think you will be able to tell the difference once I get it onto YouTube. The process is officially called "Vertical Minus" or "Vert-" for short. Instead of setting my screen resolution to 1280x720, I set it to 1280x1024. Then once in the game, I film as usual, with one exception: I have configured the Xfire FPS counter and Xfire clock to block out the top and bottom of the screen, as if you are watching a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 screen:


This makes it so that the middle portion of the screen--which has the dimensions of 1280x720--is proportioned regularly. This does not fix the fact that the video being recorded is still 4:3 1280x1024, but once I get into a video editing program it is easy to cut the top and bottom off.

Usually I would shake my head in disgust at this method, because it simply decreases the amount of the surroundings that you can see, but the more I thought through it the more I have realised that it doesn't matter. As long as I have the Xfire bars letter boxing my screen, I can setup my shots so that they will look correct once I crop the top and bottom off. The end result is a video that is properly proportioned and has the resolution that I want! Pretty cool I think. At first I thought that I would have to buy an expansion pack to RCT3 in order to get wide screen resolutions, but this workaround is acceptable for now.

(Please remember that you do not have to have Xfire in order for this to work. The black bars in the screenshot do not actually make the video widescreen, they are simply a visual aid.)

No comments:

Web Counter
Golden Gate Bonsai