background image

Monday, October 18, 2010

SCAD Film Challenge results

So they finally managed to post the results of the SCAD contest. Unfortunately, I was not one of the top 3, nor was I one of the top 20. And neither were either of the videos in my previous post. It seems that the judges must have very different cinematic preferences than me. Either that, or they did not pick the finalists based on actual merit, and instead chose the films which best suited the genre that they wish to promote at their film festival. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

To give an example, they chose this atrocity to be a part of their top 20. Now, I honestly can't see why they would choose this film over Caleb Diaddigo's "A Bigger Picture."

Another example is this film, which seems of markedly lower quality than the brilliant stop-motion animation "Being," by Isabela Dos Santos.

A final point of confusion for me is that not only are many of the top 20 films of lower quality than their non-placing counterparts, but a good portion of them also use copyrighted music! I don't understand. The way I see it, they are punishing originality, and rewarding cheap, lazy behavior. Well, some of the judges were from apple.

\rant

3 comments:

L0rdG1gabyt3 said...

WOW!! I just wasted the last 4:39 of my life watching thoes "films". If you want to call them that. WTF was the first one? A dude stands in a hallway, laughs, crys, then gets shot in the back! And the 2nd one? Hell, my 7yr old could write a better script! If I wanted to see and entire high school campus txting each other and playing around on FB, I would go back to high school!

So, to wrap it all up.... Thoes two "films" arent even worth the storage they took up on YT servers.

Its too bad to see judges so biased that they cant see a good piece of work over a good piece of $h1t!

Im going to bed! Better luck next time HC. It shows you if you want to win, next year film a dog taking a dump in your neighbors yard, and set it to a soundtrack of copyrighted music!

L0rdG1gabyt3 said...

Oh, and to follow up, I did "dislike" each of them on YT, and asked that next time they make a real movie.

MediaTorus/Dread said...

"Well, some of the judges were from apple."

There's your problem.

"they did not pick the finalists based on actual merit, and instead chose the films which best suited the genre that they wish to promote at their film festival."
Exactly what is happening here - they just want fodder and money. Luimere was prolly picked because it was filmed in high def, meaning that they can take a screenshot and put it in an ad. They don't care, much less view, about the rest of the film whatsoever.

Web Counter
Golden Gate Bonsai